How I Started Crocheting

I definitely have quite the story behind how I started to crochet! 

I had my challenges when learning. Actually I had a few more than the average person I'd say. It was well worth it though! I pray my story will encourage anyone considering crocheting to try to learn!

I started crocheting in 2017. I live in Florida, so naturally we have the threat of hurricanes from June-October. In September of 2017, my area was expected to have a direct hit from Hurricane Irma. 

If you've never been in a hurricane before, one of the things that is almost guaranteed is that you will lose power. Especially if its a category 3 or higher. It's more of a when instead of an if. It can get incredibly boring once the power goes out as well.

In 2017, I was in college at the time. Like most college students, I had very little money to my name. My spending money was at about $15 a month. I had a whole $5 to my name to buy something to do that would keep me occupied for the weeks we would be without power. Talk about a challenge. I couldn't even afford a puzzle. 

I spent about an hour walking around Joann's looking for something that I could afford to keep me busy. The only thing I could afford was a ball of yarn and a crochet hook. I bought it, and started cramming on YouTube crochet tutorials up until the power went out. 

After that, I soon became hooked (pun intended). I've been crocheting ever since!

Comments